STUDENT CODE OF CONDUCT
APL’s STEM Academy provides a fun, safe, and encouraging environment for students. Our student code of conduct, GRIT, is as follows:
Good Citizen: STEM Academy students exhibit the following traits of good citizens:
- Being respectful of other people and their property (including APL property)
- Following STEM Academy rules
- Displaying good character (responsibility, honesty, good listening, kindness)
Resourceful: STEM Academy students are resourceful and are able to deal skillfully and promptly with new situations and difficulties.
Innovative: STEM Academy students are innovative thinkers who use their creativity to solve problems that will make their world a better place.
Tenacious: STEM Academy students are tenacious learners, meaning they do not stop trying and want to improve.
In each session, students are expected to:
- attend 10 of the 12 classes
- If students are more than 15 minutes late or leave more than 15 minutes early, they will be marked absent.
- Contact email@example.com in the event of any absences.
- participate in each class
- For virtual classes, cameras must be turned on and show the student’s face. Students also must have audio capabilities and respond to instructors when called on.
- All homework assignments must be completed (if the course requires homework to track student progress and determine understanding of material covered).
- complete their final projects for the STEM Expo and complete the end of session survey
- Final projects must be original student work.
APL’s STEM Academy may impose disciplinary consequences for conduct that interferes with the educational environment. This could include anything from a warning to dismissal from the program. No refund will be given in the event of expulsion.
Cheating, plagiarizing, or other acts of academic dishonesty will not be tolerated. We will investigate every suspected violation. In the event that a violation of academic dishonesty has occurred, the consequences are as follows:
- For the first offense, the student will not earn a certificate for the course and will have to repeat the course.
- For the second offense, the student will be dismissed from APL’s STEM Academy program and will be ineligible to enroll in future STEM Academy courses
ADDING/DROPPING A COURSE
Dropping/Withdrawing from a Course
Students can drop a course/withdraw at any time during a session. Refunds will only be issued during the first two weeks of the fall and spring sessions.
Switching/Adding a Course
Students can switch to a different course or add an additional course ONLY IF the course in interest is (1) not full and (2) there are no students on the waitlist. STEM Academy courses have limited spaces available, and many fill up quickly. There is no switching/adding after the first two weeks of the fall and spring sessions.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible if you are interested in dropping or adding a course.