ASPIRE Areas of Placement
Students may apply for consideration in one of the following areas of interest:
- Aerospace Engineering & Planetary Science
- Applied Physics
- Biology & Chemistry
- Computer Science
- Information Technology & Cybersecurity
- Mathematics & Data Analysis
Placements in Biology & Chemistry are extremely limited. We are not a hospital and do not provide medical internships.
A list of possible mentors and/or projects is not available to students or parents. Only one application per student will be considered, so choose your areas of interest carefully. Your primary area of interest determines which mentors view your application. If a mentor’s project has very specific needs, we also consider your secondary area of interest
Types of ASPIRE Internships
You may select any combination of the options below on your application. You will be considered for opportunities that match your preferences:
- In-person internships – Students complete 90% or more of their internship in-person at APL.
- Hybrid internships – Students split their time (approximately 50%) between APL’s campus and their homes.
- Virtual internships - Students complete 100% of their internship work remotely, except for mandatory in-person onboarding, equipment returns, and extreme IT troubleshooting.