The application period for the 2020 summer session opens on January 1, 2020. Please see the Summer Session Information page for more details.
How to apply for the ASPIRE program:
- Please complete the following before you begin your application:
- Download this school form and get it signed by your counselor or teacher: ASPIRE Counselor Form.
- Prepare a brief resume the details your academic pursuits, extracurricular activities, and especially any STEM experiences you have had.
- Obtain an unofficial copy of your transcripts to upload to your application; a recent report card is acceptable if it shows your GPA.
- Complete and submit the online application; make sure to upload the signed counselor form, your resume, and your unofficial transcripts. The application will ask you to write 250 words or less on two topics: (1) explain why you chose your area(s) of interest and/or why you chose APL, and (2) tell us about a project you are proud of. Areas of interest are: Aerospace Engineering & Planetary Science, Applied Physics, Biology & Chemistry, Computer Science, Engineering, Information Technology & Cybersecurity, and Mathematics & Data Analysis.
- Submissions must be received by 12 a.m. EST on June 1 for the academic year session.
- Submissions must be received by 11:59 p.m. on February 15 for the summer session.
- After submitting your application, you will receive an e-mail containing a link. Please share the link with two people you would like to recommend you for the program. One of them should be a STEM teacher. Once they complete and submit the recommendation form, the form will automatically be attached to your application. Your application will be complete when we have received two recommendation forms. All recommendation forms are due by 11:59 p.m. on March 1.
- Please do not call to see whether we have received your recommendation forms. We will contact you if they are missing.
Applications will be reviewed, interviews will be conducted, and students will be accepted between June 1 and September 1 for the academic year session, and between March 1 and June 1 for the summer session. Because of the number of applications received, please do not call to check on the status of your application unless you have a specific issue. Acceptances are sent out on a rolling basis. All students, regardless of acceptance, will be notified of their status after the selection period has ended.